Silliness
A silly Frenchman
Lewis Carroll knew it and so did Spike Milligan. And a proportion of stand-up comedians know it too. Silliness is a good thing - especially in these beleaguered times when old certainties are being washed away. It's tempting to go around with a furrowed brow, speaking seriously and fretting about current affairs and wailing, "Oh woe is me!"
But a dose of silliness is good for you, like a healing balm. Letting yourself go and being daft like a kitten chasing its tail or a puppy cavorting on a beach. We need to nurture the silly genes inside us and give them airtime.
When I walk Phoebe back to our house after school, we always pass a gateway where we share a daft idea. I once told her that a big, bad dog lives there so we tiptoe past keeping as quiet as mice. She knows it's just a silly game but she will still ask questions about that dog.
"What's its name?"
"Satan!"
"Do they keep it on a lead?"
"No. On a very thick chain!"
I think that children are much better about being silly than most adults are. In a sense, child rearing and formal education seem to be partly about squeezing out the silliness - as if being silly was some kind of undesirable condition requiring suppression.
Silliness is connected with light-heartedness, mischief, laughter and loosening up and I'm all for it. It's a vital release valve.
from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/eK8ylP0
تعليقات
إرسال تعليق