When it comes to apparel, why are so many people obsessed with branding? Let me say straight away that I am not. In fact, I go the other way and actively seek out items that have no obvious signs of branding logos and the like. I have even been known to snip off or unpick designer labels.
And yet for many there is comfort in the labelling and branding. It is as if they are perfectly happy to go about advertising the companies that manufactured the clothing and footwear they purchased - often at large expense. They probably think that people like me are just plain weird... "Did you see that bloke? It was impossible to spot which brands he was wearing!" and maybe, "What's wrong with him?"
I grew up in a world without obvious branding - apart from that which appeared on motor vehicles. Mostly things were plain and it was impossible to discern what brands other people were wearing - not that anyone was bothered of course. And this was even true of sportswear.
I don't bristle very much when the logos or brand names are quite small and discreet but when the labelling is big and brash, I shake my head as I look on. Why? and What's going on? Why have people allowed themselves to be sucked into the branding game where the items you wear seem somehow to speak of your perceived status?
from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/LUDYrBq