Most people who read this blogpost will never have heard of Phil Brown but to me he is a living legend. Back in 2008, he was the Hull City manager who led my beloved Tigers up to The Premier League for the very first time. Hell, that was eighteen years ago. Hull City had been in existence since 1904.
During his professional playing career, he made 652 appearances as a defender for Hartlepool United, Halifax Town, Bolton Wanderers and Blackpool, scoring 46 goals. He never achieved any international recognition. Currently, he is often heard on BBC Radio 5 Live - debating football or commentating.
On Saturday afternoon my son Ian clocked him by the luggage carousels at Birmingham Airport. He was wearing pink shorts, a green Hawaiian shirt and a straw hat. I plucked up the courage to go over to talk to him...
⦿
"Hello, Phil. May I shake your hand?"
"Do I know you?"
"I'm just a lifelong Hull City fan. And I wanted to thank you for what happened back in 2008. It was one of the happiest days of my life."
"It was a very special day that's for sure."
"I discovered what tears of joy really mean."
"You won't the only one. I cried them too."
"How do you think The Tigers will do next season?"
"I think they are in with a good chance of staying up. There is togetherness and everybody seems to be pulling in the same direction. I hear they have got some imaginative signings lined up."
"Yes. There seems to be a good team spirit and Sergej Jakirović seems like a capable manager.""I agree."
"So where have you been on your holidays?"
"We've been to Malta. It was bloody hot. Around forty degrees in the afternoon. Where did you go?"
"Oh we've been to Majorca and it was very hot there too... Anyway, I don't want to detain you any longer. I just wanted to say thank you for May 24th, 2008. I will never forget it and it has been a real honour to meet you sir."
"Well, that's very kind of you to say so."
(They shake hands for a second time)
from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/DgiUlMv