41

It was about a year ago when I first learnt about a special blood test - the HBA1c blood test. It is specifically used with regard to diabetes and is generally given to people with diabetes and those who are at risk of slipping into that unhappy category.

Apparently the "HB" part of the name has nothing to do with lead pencils. It stands for haemoglobin. The second part of the name "A1c" relates to glucose. The test measures how much glucose is attached to one's red blood cells that of course contain haemoglobin. This vital substance carries oxygen around one's body and high levels of glucose will cause impairment in the process.

There is a scoring system. A healthy bloodstream that is not in any immediate danger of slipping into the diabetic zone will have an HBA1c score of  under 42 millimoles per mole. Anyone who records a score of between 42 and 47 is in the pre-diabetic category and those with a score of 48 or over are classed as Type 2 diabetics.

A year ago my score was hovering around 47/48. I was on the edge of becoming a card-carrying member of the Type 2 brigade. That was something I really did not want and so, without going crazy about it, I did three things. Firstly, I stopped adding sugar to hot drinks. Secondly, I greatly reduced my alcohol consumption. Thirdly, partly with the aid of weight loss reduction jabs, I shed a stone in weight (14 pounds) - limiting my daily intake of calories and learning to be more watchful about what I eat.

And now the good news is that my HBA1c score is down to 41! My doctor told me this at today's hypertension focused appointment. Jokingly, I told him I would celebrate with a few pints at my local tonight. I was delighted but when on such a health journey one should guard against complacency. It would be easy  for the score to rise again - back to the threshold of full-blown diabetes. 

We are going to Egypt in early March for a week long Nile cruise and our travel insurer needed clarity about my health before providing a quote. That's why I made a point of asking Dr Dale about my latest HBA1c score and when questioned he said, "No you are not diabetic and you are not pre-diabetic any more. You are in the normal range."

I have always wondered what it is like to be normal.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/s1Mrj9i

تعليقات

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

Easter

Today