Herons

We have lived in  this suburban house for thirty five years but never before have we spotted a heron on one of our apple trees. But there the creature was this very evening. Thirty feet off the ground with his/her neck outstretched, looking for something.

Perhaps he or she was looking for another heron or more likely a garden pond from which a nice evening meal might be snatched. Herons are such skilful spear fishers. It is what evolution designed them to do.

I had spotted the bird as I passed through our kitchen so grabbed my camera and hoped it would not fly away - the bird I mean, not the camera! Herons are such skittish birds with a keen sense of possible danger. The photo was taken through the glass of our kitchen door. I knew that if I opened that door, he/she would zoom off.

Below there are two more heron pictures I have taken in past years. The first one was taken at Garlieston Bay in south west Scotland as night was approaching...
This second one was taken by the old mill pond in Bingham Park which is less than half a mile from this keyboard. That's where I expect to see herons - in or by watery places  - not up in a suburban apple tree. I wonder if the heron will ever come back. Somehow I doubt it. It was most likely a once in thirty five year event.


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/wFmB7p3

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق