Versions

Recently, on this humble Yorkshire blog,  I featured "Up On the Roof" performed by The Drifters. It was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin in I think 1961. The Drifters' version came out in 1962.

For whatever reason, special songs like that one attract different recording artists. My fellow Yorkshireman, Tasker Dunham mentioned in comments that his preferred version is by Laura Nyro. She recorded it in 1970 but I must admit that I had never listened to it before. Here it is:


In the days that the song has been echoing around in my skull, I came across another great version - performed live by Carole King and her friend James Taylor. It is such a joyous performance. You sense the chemistry between the two of them, the feeling of enjoyment and indeed the respect they have for each other:

Which version do you prefer?

Laura Nyro died from ovarian cancer in 1997 when she was just 49 years old. Carole KIng is 81 years old and mostly resides in the state of Idaho. Still performing and recording, James Taylor is 75 years old and continues to live in his home state - Massachusetts.


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/cYvFgNV

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق