Evidence

At my brother Simon's cottage, I came across a couple of A4 ring binders. They contained dozens of handwritten songs often with accompanying guitar chords. I rifled through those binders hoping to find a few original  songs but if there were any there they eluded me. I was also hoping to find original poetry and I managed to rescue this....

A Poem

Sitting in a room all by myself
Studying woodchip and books along a shelf
Making faces and mountains out of clouds
Living in a vacuum moron!
Boredom
Drinking cups of coffee and smoking cigarettes
Pissing it up at nighttime just so I might forget .
On the dole got no soul
Got no goal in a hole
Boredom
A boring little village in the boring countryside
Could take a walk, it's all the bloody same to me
Oh! It's raining again - what a turn up for the books!
Out on the road the sound of boring cars and trucks
Boredom
Boring little men with boring little wives
Boring bloody jobs boring bloody lives
Boring little kids making too much bloody noise
I'd give em all thick ears if I had the bloody choice
Or lock em in the garage and play Motorhead full blast
Poke em the eyes just for disturbing my
Boredom
Friday night again, wonder what I'll do
Down the pub again to drink until I spew
Least I've got some beer tokens 
Or I wouldn't know what to do
I'd just say Fuck it
But it doesn't rhyme
Boredom.

It wasn't dated but I guess it was written a good few years back. There was a time when his weekend night ritual was very familiar.  Down to "The New Inn" at eight o'clock. Two or three pints there. Then up to "The Hare and Hounds" for two or three pints before moving on to the village social club for three or four more pints before waddling home for another  joint and sleep.

There was a lot of loneliness in his life, a lot of aimlessness and frustration and though the poem I have typed out isn't brilliant by any means, I think it captures something of the man he was and how he seemed to live consciously in the shadow of who he might have been.


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/Uh4JFxw

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق