Londesborough

Cottages in Londesborough

Today I thought that I would kill two birds with one stone as it were. Not only would I travel back to East Yorkshire to visit my dying brother, I would also factor in a nice long walk. 

That's why I left Clint snoozing on Low Road, Londesborough opposite All Saints Church. Londesborough is a charming little village on the edge of The Yorkshire Wolds and is associated with the Dukes of Devonshire whose main country residence is Chatsworth House in Derbyshire.

Wedding party in Goodmanham

It was a beautiful, warm day at the start of summer. No need for a coat or jumper. I put on some braces (American: suspenders) to avoid hitching up my trousers every half mile or so. Soon I was heading south over chalky agricultural land towards another charming village called Goodmanham. In  ancient All Hallows Church built on the site of an important pre-Christian temple, a wedding was in progress. Two villagers I met - married for fifty three years - told me that most years only two or three weddings are held in their parish church. Read about Goodmanham on Wikipedia.

Mill House in Goodmanham

Then I walked on to a much larger settlement called Market Weighton. It's really a small town with plenty of services and a population of 7,000 or so. Its most notable resident was William Bradley who died in 1820. At 7 feet 9 inches, he was known as The Yorkshire Giant and may well have been the tallest Englishman ever. There's now a life-sized oak statue of him looking down the high street.

Table set in Market Weighton for a Platinum Jubilee party in honour of  our queen

I turned north again, heading back to Londesborough and there was no dawdling because I wanted to reach Simon's cottage by late afternoon before heading back to Sheffield. I stayed with him over an hour and he only yelled at me once - commanding me to "Shut the door!" as I was in the process of shutting that very same door to leave. It's never easy but at least he said, "Thank you for coming".
Statue of William Bradley looking down Market Weighton High Street


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/z9qrSUw

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق