Moderation

Yesterday's metaphor about a private blog being like the front room in someone's house was immediately trashed by a visitor who burst into the house with a spray can and tossed my cushions around. There were accusations and allegations and far too many words. The visitor would have done well to take on board some of the helpful guidelines contained in yesterday's blogpost - including this advice: "You don't start criticising everything from the moment you walk in and you don't start taking over the conversation either."

In the fifteen and  half years that I have been a blogger, I have always refused to enable comment moderation. In fact, until a few minutes ago I did not even know how to do that. For me, it very much goes against the grain to check out  comments before they are posted. But that is what I have now chosen to do.

I apologise to regular commenters for this change and I am sorry that there will now be  some police tape between us.   An unwelcome barrier. I will try to get your very welcome future comments up for public consideration as soon as I can.

However, to the house guest who tried to trash my front room and had to be led out still raging, I want to say this: I will no longer be reading any of your comments. In the moderation process, they will simply be deleted.

I am a tolerant guy and habitually I support the concept of free speech  but you pushed it too far in your various comments after "Visiting" and became insulting to me and to some of my other visitors. Once again you wrote more words than there were in the blogpost. That itself should tell you something. In spite of your intelligence, linguistic athleticism, fluent thinking and passion for life, you have become too shouty, too judgemental and too impolite for my liking. Enough is enough.

You came into my front room and you ignored the house rules so that's that. It's  a horrible thing to have to do just before Christmas and for that I am truly sorry. Because you have so much to say, perhaps you will consider relaunching your own blog?


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/38IYL1N

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق