24th


24th of December. Christmas Eve. 

With the prospect of a dry day with sunshine I headed east of the city, hoping for another long walk with my camera in hand. It has been quite wet recently so I expected some puddles and mud out there but I guessed that if I mostly stuck to the lanes I would probably be okay.

I parked Clint in Carlton-in-Lindrick not far from the village pond. After a hundred yards, in spite of the day's positive weather forecast,  rain began to fall. Not fat tropical rain but thin grey English rain - seeping down from a low hanging sky.

I looked up to the firmament and thought to myself - it's  going to be a miserable walk. It was still raining when I reached Hodsock Priory. This is one of the best locations in the land to see snowdrops in the early springtime. I blogged about a previous visit there in this blogpost from 2012.

Hodsock Priory and gatehouse

Today, f I had waited for half an hour, the priory and its sixteenth century gatehouse would have been bathed in sunshine under a blue sky. Such can be the fickleness of the weather experienced by the inhabitants of  this famous island on the edge of Europe.

Of course I gathered a good number of photographs along the way as I usually do. None of them pleased me greatly but for your interest I have picked four to accompany this writing.

The village pond Carlton-in-Lindrick

Back home it wasn't long before I started to prepare a chicken curry with aubergine chunks, red pepper, onions and mushrooms. Served with fluffy white rice and peshwari nan bread.

Our son Ian down in London  may have contracted  the COVID virus. He went for a test this afternoon. On reflection, it is a good job that he didn't travel north for Christmas as originally planned. The last thing our heavily pregnant daughter needs is a dose of that frigging virus just as her baby emerges into our world.

Happy Christmas! This is the virtual card that I e-mailed to twenty people who did not make our real Christmas card list. Feel free to print it off, mount on stiff card and place upon your mantelpiece...



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/3nU9lJG

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق