Albums

Recently, I thought about 1969 and 1970 and the music that coloured those twenty four months. Here on this very blog I shared with you three of my favourite singles from each of those special years.

Back then I was always delighted to visit Kingston-upon-Hull's two best record shops - Sydney Scarborough under The City Hall  and Stardisc Records on Silver Street. Of course then there were no CD's or cassette versions of albums so you leafed through the record stacks checking out album covers. Album covers were becoming more imaginative by 1969 - they were more than just sleeves to hold the discs. In fact one might argue that they complemented the music within.

Before making this blogpost, I checked out lists of albums published in those two iconic years and picked out three of my favourite albums from each year. I owned them all and played them to death till I knew just about every lyric from beginning to end. Perhaps I should have devoted  an equal amount of dedication to my school work but much of that bored me to tears when I was fifteen and sixteen. Music was different for it really meant something to me - much more than politics or world affairs or tedious Science lessons.

These are the six albums I have chosen:-

1969...

"Liege & Lief" - Fairport Convention:-

"Nashville Skyline" - Bob Dylan:-

"Songs from a Room" - Leonard Cohen:-

1970...

"Tumbleweed Connection" - Elton John:-

"After The Goldrush" - Neil Young:-

"Sweet Baby James" - James Taylor:-

If a record producer stopped me in the street and asked me to pick just one song from each album to make a compilation disc, these are the songs I would pick:-

"Farewell, Farewell" - Fairport Convention

"Girl from The North Country" - Bob Dylan

"Seems So Long Ago, Nancy" - Leonard Cohen

"Burn Down The Mission" - Elton John

"Don't Let It Bring You Down" - Neil Young

"Fire and Rain" - James Taylor

And here's just one of those songs to listen to before you go, from one of Canada's greatest sons:-



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/6GHxcJV

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق