Summary

Friday afternoon was good. 'Twas a lovely summer's day. We drove over to Bakewell with Frances, Stewart and Phoebe. After parking, we headed straight to "The Woodyard" pub-restaurant where we had reserved a garden table overlooking The River Wye.

Great food. Good beer and good table service too. Phoebe gurgled peacefully in her pushchair as we tucked into our nosh - served on wooden bread boards.

Afterwards we meandered into the town crossing a pedestrian bridge that is now festooned with padlocks. You know the ones I mean - where people have locked in their devotion to each other. It has become a worldwide phenomenon. The first time I ever noticed it was on the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, Italy several years ago.

I guess that the first couple who ever did this with a padlock were doing something quite unique and endearing but when you see many hundreds of padlocks clipped to the handrails of a bridge it seems a little irksome and rather odd. The uniqueness has been replaced with copycat predictability.

Bakewell is a popular town in the middle of The Peak District. We bought Bakewell puddings from Ye Olde Bakewell Pudding Shoppe but decided not to buy Bakewell tarts. It was not a market  day and the school holidays had not quite started so the place was not overwhelmed with visitors.

Yesterday (Saturday) Shirley was out all day attending a hen do organised on behalf of lovely Caroline who we have know since she was two years old.

In the late morning, after picking a bowl of raspberries from the bottom of our garden I lounged around before instructing Clint to drive me back into The Peak District. He deposited himself in the little car park by Shillito Wood and then I set off in hot sunshine on a big loop that took in one of my favourite trees. I posted pictures of it in January of this year. Go here.

When I got home, Shirley was still not back so I made my own tea - cold chicken, new potatoes and salad. The weather folk said it had been the hottest day of the year so far 32°C or 89.5° and I can well believe it. Today (Sunday) will be equally as hot so there'll be no traditional Sunday roast in the evening. I have bought all the stuff needed for a barbecue - oh and a swede for Phoebe. She's gonna love that thing.

On Saturday's walk.


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/3BeqGUq

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق