Films

A modern Christmas tradition is for families to sit down together in order to enjoy a good film (American: movie). With Netflix and Amazon Prime the choices become almost endless.

Last night, I found myself sitting on the sofa ready to watch "The Departed" starring Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon and Leonardo di Caprio with a stellar supporting cast. Set in Boston, USA, the film focused on relations between the police department and the brutal underworld in which police double agents were planted. Made in 2006, the film was directed by Martin Scorsese.

An horrendous total of 21 people are killed on screen in "The Departed" which I nonetheless  found to be shallow and rather dull entertainment. There is no human depth to it, just lots of aggression and blood. It was quite boring and predictable in spite of the talented lead actors and the shootings.

Another film I watched was  "The Amazing Spider-Man" (2012). This contained many incredible special effects but ultimately I also found this film to be very tedious. It was as if it had been aimed at adolescent boys of limited intelligence. Fantasies about superheroes just do not appeal to me anyway. If I never see another superhero film in my life I will die happily in my bed. To me they are all utter rubbish even though I recognise that many other people like them. Box office figures cannot lie, can they?

The best film I saw through the holiday period was a low budget production  called "Once" (2007). Set in Dublin,  it stars Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová as struggling street musicians. In fact, that is what they were in real life for many years. It is a sweet romance with several twists but I suppose that what I mostly liked about it was that it seemed like real life - authentic and true. As you might imagine, "Once" has a musical soundtrack with songs by Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová. Of all of the songs, "Falling Slowly" was the most haunting. I had heard it before and now here it is for your personal enjoyment. Please turn up the volume and listen:-



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/32AD7O9

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق