Praise

In one's working life, praise is often in short supply. However, praise can be like rocket fuel - it gives us a boost and encourages us to carry on, to keep putting our shoulders to the wheel - week in and week out.

For sixteen years, I was The Head of English in a north Sheffield secondary school. During that span of time, I worked closely with up to a hundred other English teachers. Some were with me for years while others lasted for no more than a single teaching year. And there were student teachers, supply teachers, even an Australian teacher who was with us for a year on an exchange programme.

I led them all - the young ones, the older ones, women, men, competent teachers and incompetent ones, teachers prone to tears and teachers who went the extra mile to serve pupils to the best of our ability.

I led by example and by listening to other teachers - showing that I valued them as colleagues and by encouraging them - often with praise that might spur them on. It was my natural style and I am proud to say that in general I earned both their respect and their affection.

It must have been just after the turn of the millennia that a young university student teacher called Sarah joined us on a  successful teaching placement. She was a happy, intelligent human being with drive and personality. After her placement, we gave her a job and she joined my English department on a permanent basis.

Fast forward the tape twenty years and now Sarah's youngest son goes to the same pre-school nursery that our Phoebe attends. 

Earlier this week Sarah had her first ever conversation with my daughter Frances. She said that I had been the best "boss" she had ever had. I was respected by staff and pupils alike. I listened to colleagues and made time for them and intervened when discipline issues cropped up.

Even after all these years, this report gave me a lift and caused me to reflect upon my leadership skills in those very busy working years. Though I wasn't perfect, I think Sarah's summary was pretty fair for I gave my all and I guess that I have every right to feel proud of my performance and my endurance.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/l4LgFbz

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق