Frustration

The month of July just gone was the worst one I have ever known here in the north of England. The weather was very unsettled and though we are told that in the world as a whole it was the hottest July on record, here in Yorkshire that was certainly not the case. Almost every day was miserable and even when sunshine was threatening, rain and drizzle bearing clouds  would come scudding along to sadden our hearts. It has been the second wettest July on record in Sheffield since records began back in 1882.

One of the upshots of this grey pattern was that I couldn't get things done, There was grass to cut and our fifty yard hedges to trim, a vegetable plot to be tended and a sentry box shed to erect. Above all was my desire to address the  second level of our wooden  decking. There was never a dry period allowing me to crack on.

It was impossible to unscrew the old screws from the existing decking. They had been in place for twenty years. I could not get any purchase on them so I started to lever the boards off the undercarriage with a crowbar. I have always been as strong as a rugby-playing ox and have never before suffered any kind of back complaint. "Where there's a will there's a way" has always been one of my mottoes.

However, this time round, as I applied the brute force at an awkward angle I am sure I did something to my back and so I have been taking it easy the past few days. Getting up from a seated position has caused me pain and the same with getting into bed and climbing out.

Don't you just love it when other people moan about their ailments?

I am hoping that what I am suffering from is muscle strain and not something more sinister. I must admit that today the pain has eased off considerably and fingers crossed, I seem to be on the mend. There's a lot more work to be done to the decking but at least I have treated myself to a new, electric reciprocal saw and a new electric screwdriver. I will just have to be rather more careful.

A physiotherapy website I  scanned reassured me that nearly all back pain is short-lived and connected with muscle strains. Taking care but keeping moving seems to be the best way out for most people. Only a small percentage of sufferers have long-lasting chronic back pain which plagues them for years.  That must be awful and it is not a club I wish to join.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/hgiLAtb

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق