Announcement

I have terrible news to share with you this evening. It's hard to find the right words so I will just come right out and say it - Bob is Dead! Kapput! Deceased! Over! There. I have said it.

Perhaps there are snowmen that live forever - in Antarctica or by some hidden bay in northern Greenland - some place where ice and snow is everlasting - but here on the edge of western Europe in our changeable maritime climate, snowmen never last for long and that's the truth of the matter

One day they stand tall and proud with their eyes of coal or 2p pieces or small potatoes and four days later they are just slushy piles of the white stuff with their bits and pieces grounded on green lawns. That's how it was for Bob. He came into our lives last Friday morning and this Tuesday evening, as I look out into our night garden, all I can see is half  a bucketful of snow under the rotary clothes dryer. By the morning there'll be nothing left. Inevitably, Bob will just be a memory. That's all.

The last picture of Bob

Bob

I  took on the job
Of building Bob
Where the clothes dryer usually stands
I  rolled a big snowball down the slope
With gardening gloves on my hands.

Another ball for his thorax
And another for his big head.
For his arms, I sourced two twiggy sticks
From the pile round the back of the shed.

Phoebe brought me a carrot nose
And potatoes, not coal for his eyes
Then Shirley gave me a hat and a scarf
So Bob would appear in disguise.

He stood out there a  too short while
For by Tuesday night he'd departed
Gone to where all snowmen go -
The land of the broken-hearted...
It's what becomes of them Jimmy.
The good old days - last Friday afternoon


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/iKpLSl4

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق