Accents

Lucy Beaumont with her husband, Jon Richardson

I don't speak English like Hugh Grant or Hugh Bonneville or Michael Caine or Prince Charles. I speak English with a distinctive Yorkshire accent. Not the Yorkshire accent but a Yorkshire accent. There are several Yorkshire accents ranging from The Yorkshire Dales to Middlesbrough and from South Yorkshire to Leeds.

My own accent which has hardly changed over the years is from East Yorkshire and it  is very different from the urban accent which you will hear in Kingston-upon-Hull which is East Yorkshire's only city.

I am proud of my accent. It is a big part of my identity and I have never sought to change it. The way I speak English is clear and easily  understandable.

When I was at university one of the English professors I was attached to was A.Norman Jeffares. He was a published expert in the poetry of W.B.Yeats. Once he told me that he admired my accent and urged me never to change it, saying that it had weight and sincerity and it would serve me well in my future life. I always remembered those words though I had no intention of changing my accent anyway.

Just the other day, I came across a poem by a comedienne from Hull called Lucy Beaumont. She is married to a well-known English  funny man called Jon Richardson.. In  her Instagram poem, Lucy displays an attitude to her accent which is very much  like my own. Proudly and stubbornly she refuses to change her manner of speaking.

Here it is:-


Have you got any thoughts to share about your own accent?


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/3zAMRIa

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق