One-upmanship

I used this term in my last blogpost. One-upmanship. It was coined in 1952. I think it is a useful term but I dislike the concept it unveils.

I don't know if this has ever been true for you but in many social situations I have encountered people whose raison d'etre seems to be to score points and win one over on others. Like this:-

Where did you go on holiday this year?

Oh, We drove down to Cornwall and stayed in a cottage just outside St Austell. It was lovely.

Well we went to California. We picked up a hire car in LA. and drove up to San Francisco via Big Sur and Salinas. It was stunning. You wouldn't believe it! By the way, how's your son getting on?

He's fine thank you. He completed his degree and he's thinking of doing a masters at Sheffield.

Oh my son has already got his masters and he's applied for a PhD at Oxford. He should get a full scholarship. And he's met a gorgeous Italian girl related to Silvio Berlusconi. Her family has an amazing villa in Tuscany and we have been invited over for the summer. Has your son got a girlfriend?

Err no. He's gay.

Well I'm sorry to hear that. My son is like a stallion by all accounts. A real chip off the old block if you know what I mean! Ha-ha-ha!

This famous British comedy sketch was first performed in 1966:-



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/iPBZqda

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق