Gonk

Amongst Simon's things, in a dump of cardboard boxes, I found a figure that I had not seen for fifty years or more. I had completely forgotten about it. I guess that I made it when I was eleven or twelve years old. It represents the pinnacle of my exceedingly short career in fabric craft.

Our mother Doreen was a brilliant craftswoman. She could turn her hand to just about anything - from embroidery to lampshade making and from gloving to basket weaving. I remember her guiding me through the process of creating my little "Gonk" figure - with me insisting that I do it all by myself. In the end I was as pleased as punch with what I had done.I think it was a year or two later that I sewed "Hull City" on the back of my unique "Gonk" and the number 8 which was Ken Wagstaff's shirt number.

I have no idea what Waggy would have thought of my Gonk tribute. It is possible that he might have been offended.

It's just past 1.30pm on Thursday. Yesterday was all about telephone communications in relation to Simon's death. There's been a lot of waiting around and effectively I was trapped in our house, keen not to miss the promised  call back from the registrar's offices in Hull. They have still not called this morning. Some time soon, I must attend those offices in person and I need to blend that appointment in with another "sorting out" trip to Simon's cottage. It's most frustrating to be hanging around at this sad time.

Little Phoebe is on holiday in France right now so our childcare services are not required this week. In that sense, I guess that Simon picked a convenient time to cast off his mortal coil. Nonetheless, we are both missing our lovely  granddaughter who brings extra joy into our house whenever she visits. Her other grandparents are enjoying her special company this week. along with her two little cousins from Western Australia.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/S3qiQ7E

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق