Normanton

Working boat named after a tarn in the English Lake District

Normanton sits just east of the city of  Wakefield which was once the administrative capital of the old West Riding of Yorkshire. I rode up there today aboard the 10.02 train from Sheffield to Leeds calling at Meadowhall Interchange, Chapeltown, Elsecar, Wombwell, Barnsley, Darton and Wakefield Kirkgate. My return ticket cost me just £9.

I had pre-planned my long circular walk from Normanton railway station and all went to plan in what was a gorgeous blue sky spring day. A big slice of the walk was by the side of the Aire and Calder Navigation Canal - another impressive legacy from innovative canal engineers of the past.

In England, "Up North" is Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria, 
Northumberland , County Durham and North Lincolnshire. I spotted 
the sign in the circular window of a canal boat.

On and on I walked for four solid hours - not stopping to eat or drink and as Normanton came back into view I realised I might just make the 14.57 train. This I did with just three minutes to spare.

I got stuck back into a historical novel I am reading. It's called "The Gallows Pole" by Ben Myers and you know what - it has really hooked me. Talking about "being hooked", I saw an experienced angler bring in a three pound chub he had fished from the canal and he kindly allowed me to take a picture of it before he popped it back into the water.

Chub

Meanwhile on the train, the guard confronted a young fare dodger standing in my vicinity. He had, I think, been to college in Barnsley and was heading home the five miles to Wombwell. He said he hadn't got a ticket and that he had no money but he was getting off at the next stop anyway. 

There was no apology or apparent concern about his dishonesty. The ticket collector said it wasn't good enough but the lad got away with it. It made me wonder how many times he has done this.  I suspect that if he had been searched he would have had money on him. As an honest fare-paying traveller I found the incident annoying for several reasons. I guess that with some things I ain't cool man!

I enjoyed my day out west of Normanton and hope you like the pictures I have chosen to share with you.

"The Lelie". Her skipper greeted me with a cheery "Good morning!"

Ukrainian flag on a narrow boat moored on The Aire and Calder Canal


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/oLVxfgO

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق