Group Pressure and Church

There is a pub trip planned for my work colleagues tomorrow. 
Beers and an important rugby game.
I’m glad I’m at work.
The pub trip I can do, but watching competitive games generally don’t  catch my imagination as much as most and the tribal and verbal part of supporting my hometown is somewhat lost on me.

Am I repressed or am I not swayed by the crowd ? 
I suspect it’s a bit of both if the truth were known.
Anyhow, like I said , I’m glad not to be there
I wouldn’t pretend to be interested in who made which try 
And that can dampen the atmosphere sometimes I concede.
And I don’t really drink during the day…an anathema to many sporting fans I know.

I’ve never screamed my head off watching a concert, or laughed hysterically at a comedy gig
Though I have got quite giddy at a great play, or the ballet when the mood has taken me.

I’m not one for pretending to pray in Church either.
During prayers I keep my head up, and listen politely .
I find the pretence of praying much worse than doing nothing.
During my brother’s funeral, the vicar gave me a “ look” when my head didn’t bob with the others
I didn’t look away.

Speaking of Church. 
Yesterday I received word that the Bishop has made the final decision that our Village Church is to close. 
Our request for it to become a pilgrim Church has failed also which surprised me somewhat as I thought we had put up a robust argument for its change of status.
We await official news of what will happen to the building itself and the glebes which border it. 
The fields will be sold I am sure . The building’s future will be difficult to gauge given the fact that it houses a cemetery which is in use by the village population.  
We will wait and see……

Hattie’s painting of St Michaels & All Saints









from Going Gently https://ift.tt/QVP87rl

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق