Best Laid Plans


 I never made the bloody concert
It was a case of best made plans.
It was Sod’s law for me to have volunteered for what turned out to be one of my busiest shifts this year during which I felt my old nemesis of a urine infection hitting home. 
I drank buckets of bland fluids but that was a difficult balancing act given the workload .
Subsequently I was exhausted and feeling rather under par when I got home.
I slept heavily until 3 pm .

In one way I was glad to have gone in for the extra shift. 
For one of my “ favourite” patients was approaching the end of his life.
Clinically I know I am an unflappable nurse. This comes from my psychiatric roots where I was always taught that good nursing was 50% Confidence , 45% Knowledge and 5% bullshit 
The secret of reducing anxiety in patients and their family is to take control and have a plan.
I took control and had a plan 

I felt vindicated in doing the shift when my patient’s mother whispered into his ear
It’s alright , John’s here!” 
Lucky this sort of thing happens with many of the clinical staff.

The night team left work late this morning and I emailed the concert tickets to my friend in Liverpool before going to bed. 
I needed a heavy sleep and felt better for it.
I was sorry to have missed the concert though

This afternoon I walked the dogs and went to Sainsbury’s where I bought chicken and salad , dog food and of all things, a ceramic cheese board.
On the way home I popped by Hattie’s neat new home to drop off a Welsh terrier toy for her new baby , which is due in a couple of weeks.
It was nice to see her.




from Going Gently https://ift.tt/2XizdXp

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق