Mrs Thomas Has A Funeral



Mrs Thomas was an old farmer's wife
For the past couple of years she has been resident in a local residential home ( where I nursed her last year) but before that she lived in Bryn Rodyn Farm on the outskirts of the village.
She had a sing song Welsh voice, a bad tempered red terrier called Barney and made loaf after loaf of bara brith for one of my allotment open days , the big one that raised a thousand quid in two hours!
She was well known and well respected by the older members of the village community.

Well it was her funeral today.

I say Funeral , fairly loosely as all you are " allowed" nowadays is  12 mourners and an outside service of sorts, and so as a mark of respect I stood in my field with the ponies as the Minister led he family into the graveyard, the little knots of people separate from each other by the required six feet.
It looked like no Funeral I was used to.
The minister had a fine, strong voice and I could almost hear every word of the bilingual service from  a hundred yards away and as I stood the ponies congregated around blowing down their noses at me.
I turned and for a few moments exhaled loudly as they inhaled our noses touching.
It's always a magical moment when ponies do that.
A breathing hello between two species.


Everyday now in lockdown the Churchyard cockerels fly over the wall to have a brief meal of old cat food. They come because the dogs are all over at Trendy Carol's and there is no hysteria over their visit.

It's been a warm , blue sky day today

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق