Magnificence

Walker resting at Great Tor with Ladybower Reservoir in the valley

Today, Tuesday April 30th, it felt as though the last vestiges of winter had been stored away till late autumn. I woke to a blue sky and a deliveryman hammering on our front door with a large cardboard box under his arm. It was some framing that Shirley had ordered for our vegetable plot.

Breakfast, tea, computer time and a shower and soon I was tootling off to Bamford Edge some five miles west of here. Clint had a belly full of petrol (American: gas) and he was in a racing mood. "Whoaa boy!" I exclaimed, reining him in as we reached the 30mph zone at Ringinglow.

I was pleased to find a space at the roadside pull-in where the path to Bamford Edge commences. There was no rush. Apart from anything else, I was again testing out my left heel that continues to give me occasional  gyp. Before setting off I smeared sun cream on my face for the first time this year,

Bamford Edge looks down upon the valley of The River Derwent and the village of Bamford. Across that valley is the distinctive shape of Win Hill that in ancient times was used as a hill fort. The valley itself contains three big reservoirs that save water mostly for the English Midlands - Derby, Nottingham and Leicester for example.

There were quite a few people out and about on the rocky edge - including two groups of young Asians. That was nice to witness as rambling and exploring the countryside have tended to be the preserve of white members of what is often called "the host community". Most days you tend to see no brown or black faces in "the great outdoors". I was also aware of a Dutch family walking along - no doubt on holiday.

After almost three hours Clint carried me back to Sheffield and I confess that I had an urge for a late lunch at McDonalds on Archer Road so that's what I did - Big Mac with medium fries and a latte. As John Gray would say about mischievous snacks - Bloody Lovely!
 
Looking down on Bamford
View across the valley to Win Hill
Another view of Ladybower Reservoir
Finally, heading back to New Road where Clint was parked. He is second from the left 
and beyond him there's  High Leas Farm and the green fields of The Hope Valley.


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/50PkIOU

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق