Puzzlement

When I was sixteen, like all other academically capable teenagers in England, I had to select the Advanced Level (A Level) subjects that I wished to pursue for the next two years - up to my final  examinations. Unsurprisingly, I picked my strongest subjects which happened to be English, Geography and Art.

I was not the most diligent of A level students because I was distracted by other interests such as girls and music. I became the singer in a semi-professional band and I also attended as many concerts as I could - including a few pop festivals. If I had been more focused in my studies, I would have earned better grades and I would have got into a better university.

As it was, I ended up at The University of Stirling in Scotland where I am happy to say I became very conscientious and thoroughly engaged in my studies. I was there for four and a half years and came out with a good joint honours degree in English Studies with Education plus The Diploma in Education with distinction.

To tell you the truth, when it came to academic studies you wouldn't think that the lad of 16/18 years old was the same person as the young man of 20/24 years old. I suppose it was because at university I loved the work and the independent nature of so much of it. The university library became like a second home to me.

All of the above is just background. My main reason for writing this blogpost was to share some puzzlement about what you might call my domestic life during. my first years as a university student.

Living in a hall of residence you were supplied with a  fresh sheet and pillowcase and a freshly laundered duvet cover every week. The cleaning staff left them outside your door anticipating that you would bundle up your used bedding and leave it in the corridor for collection. They probably also expected that students would have the wherewithal to then make up their beds but quite often I didn't get round to it for two or three days. Putting a duvet in its new cotton bag seemed like the most onerous task in the world. Quite ridiculous.

Later I lived with a bunch of Scottish fellows in a six man flat that had its own bathroom and shower room, shared kitchen and lounge area.  I would like to ask my younger self two questions about that time. Firstly, why didn't I invest in a dressing gown and secondly, why didn't I ever think to buy any food?

Many was the time I came home late on - after studying in the library or drinking in the pub - with an urgent need to eat - something, anything but there was nothing for me in the cupboard or the fridge. Stupidly, I never thought ahead to buy some food items in. Nowadays, I guess that similarly hungry students simply phone up for takeaway deliveries.

But back then - between 1973 and 1977 we had no phones and there were no food delivery services anyway.

So yes, I am sorry to say that although I was a diligent university student who worked hard and was appropriately rewarded, there were several aspects of my domestic life I would change if I could go back to that time. I would have a warm dressing gown, there would be food in the cupboard, I would cook more meals, my laundry would get done, I would go to bed at a reasonable time and new bedding would be on the bed that very morning - not left in a neat pile, waiting to be seen to.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/GcPZ2bu

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق