Picture

I wandered down to "The Itchy Pig" tonight. There I drank two and half pints of Abbeydale "Heathen" and had a nice chat with Alan who is a significant figure in the local CAMRA group. CAMRA stands for Campaign for Real Ale.  It is a national organisation. They act as a pressure group for beer drinkers and a source of information about real ales and the local pub scene.

Because of this, all that I have for you tonight is a picture  of me taken by my father in 1957 when I was four years old. I am on my tricycle eating an apple. Beyond me is the field that was adjacent to our garden. I remember being in that field at harvest-time and sitting happily with two farm workers in the sunshine drinking sweet coffee from an enamel mug.  Between 1963 and 1964, the field became a large building site and a private housing estate grew up there.

Dad was a pretty keen amateur photographer and even had his own dark room where he could develop and print his own pictures. I was the only one of his four sons who showed the slightest interest in this process and when I was about ten he taught me the rudiments of this alchemy.  How magical it was to see one's pictures emerging in the chemical fixing bath under a red light.

He died in September 1979 and even now  I think of him every day and still miss him.  Mourning is never over and done with in a week or two. It can go on forever.


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/xYVCKUb

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق