Mill

 

On Monday morning I drove east. Through Tickhill and Bawtry then on to Gainsborough. After Gainsborough, I travelled through the village of Corringham and that's when I spotted an old mill standing in a field of bright yellow rapeseed.

There was nowhere to stop and I was on a fairly busy "A" road with a big white lorry behind me. It would have been dangerous to pull in and so I just kept on driving, knowing that I was leaving a fine photo opportunity behind me.

However, returning from Louth on Tuesday afternoon, I prepared  to stop and three hundred yards before reaching the old mill, I turned onto a side road and parked Clint safely in a field entrance.

I was feeling pretty weary as I hobbled along the grass verge until I could find a way into the field. Passing motorists may have been thinking, "Is he an escaped lunatic?" but I didn't care.

East Mill, Corringham was used as a corn mill through most of the nineteenth century but I could not find out exactly when it was built. By 1905, the four sails were broken beyond repair and no more flour was ever produced there. Even in 1885, the mill was described on maps as "Old Windmill"

Similar disused mills may well have been demolished long ago but East Mill survives partly because it had a preservation order placed upon it and it is now  an officially listed building. The blue and the yellow remind me of the flag of Ukraine. Long may East Mill continue, at its lonely location north of the A631.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/w1XT5Nx

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق