Long

 

The title of this blogpost is "Long" but maybe it should have been "Long Eaton". However, back in June 2005 when this blog began I decided that every blogpost would have a single word title and after almost eighteen years of blogging I am stubbornly sticking with that choice.

Today was a beautiful early spring day with wall to wall sunshine and blue skies. I caught the 10.36 train to Long Eaton via Derby, returning via the direct 16.49 train. In between, I walked the best part of twelve miles and I was so weary when I got home that I promptly fell asleep for an hour.
South and east of Long Eaton it is a very watery world, The River Trent flows there and there are huge ponds that evidence gravel and sand industries of past decades as well as ingenious Victorian canals. Above - you can see St Mary's Church in the Leicestershire village of Attenborough whence David Attenborough acquired his family name.
Above - a couple sit by The River Trent  at Trent Lock - looking towards the cooling towers at Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station.
Above - the buds of a young horse chestnut tree have burst forth to reveal another year's early growth and below - a roadside view of  thirteenth century All Saints Church in Sawley.
Getting back to the title of this blogpost - upon reflection I think I can justify it by virtue of the fact that it was a pretty long walk .


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/Q7TKxSO

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق