York

"Yorkie Goes to York"
Those damned weather forecasters got it wrong today. It was meant to be cold and sunny up in York but it was cold and grey. There were even a few snow flurries but not sufficient to make me put my hood up.

At the last moment, Baroness Pudding decided to accompany me on my train journey - not for the lengthy walk I had planned but to mooch around the city's shops and have lunch somewhere. Above - York railway station soon after we had alighted from the Sheffield train. Below - by The River Ouse - two of York's most famous offspring are celebrated:-
The River Ouse is prone to flooding and Clifton Ings north of the city is a wide grassy area that captures millions of gallons of flood water when levels get worrying. There I spotted this egret with its long neck tucked in:-
By the river a couple of miles out of the city I spotted rowers from St Peter's School on a training session:-
I am not sure why I took this picture of a parked van. Possibly I was thinking about New York City and wanted to show that there's a much older city that bears the name of York:-

Joseph Rowntree was a great man of York. See the second picture. His far-seeing charitable legacy continues to this day. I spotted this plaque on the wall of a grand house just outside the old city walls:-

York's skyline is still dominated by a magnificent medieval cathedral called York Minster. It requires continuous maintenance. I spotted this tarpaulin on the south side of the building today:-

Just before I dived into a Middle Eastern cafe to buy a delicious chicken shawarma with a can of Diet Coke, I noticed this brass marker in the pavement (American: sidewalk). York was an important northern settlement for The Romans. They called it Eboracum which  possibly meant - place of the wild boar though there are other etymological  theories. In contrast, the title of this very blog means - place of the old bore! Namely, me!


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/YnvMzNd

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق