Brylcreem

"Brylcreem" was first created in Birmingham, England. Consisting of an emulsion of water and mineral oil mixed with beeswax, it took off as a male grooming product just before World War II. You rubbed it into your scalp and your hair became easier to manage. With sufficient "Brylcreem" upon it, it tended stay put in a gale.

My father Philip applied it to his head every morning and at the age of eleven , when I started secondary school, I also joined the "Brylcreem" club. Unless I played sports during the school day, my parted hair  remained unchanged till I got home. I left the "Brylcreem" fraternity at the age of fourteen. By 1967, I was keen to have longer hair like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones but my school's rules must have been developed in  Edwardian times. Having anything other than a "short back and sides" was considered to be a heinous crime but with several other rebellious boys I kept pushing the boundaries.

In the 1950's "Brylcreem" was very popular in this country. Heralding a future trend in advertising,  a great cricketer, Dennis Compton, was employed to promote the product:-

"Brylcreem" became popular in other countries too - including the USA, Canada and Australia. It featured in early TV ads where the slogan"A little dab will do ya!" was adopted. There are two ads contained within this video clip:-


The heyday of "Brylcreem" may be long gone but the cream is still produced. When I worked in Thailand I saw it for sale in my local pharmacy. There are still many men with unruly hair who could benefit from daily dabs of the product. I created the meme shown below to demonstrate that very point...



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/Qhc1gVl

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق