Something Beautiful



 I hung the fairy lights behind her bed and looped them around the tracking hoist.
We turned off the main lights and the support worker helped the patient into a pretty blouse.
I twisted the bottles of Prosecco into an improvised ice bucket made from a sharps bin and
We left the friends to enjoy their Chinese takeaway and drinks.

Sometimes nursing is dire, sometimes unforgiving,  mostly it’s a challenge , but often …it’s a pure joy.

I witnessed someing quite beautiful tonight, just before I left for home.
I knocked on the patient’s door to say goodbye
And saw four old friends sitting on a bed together like sisters do
They were all holding hands .
And very quietly , almost in a whisper they were singing as one
I recognised the chorus 
All I needed was the love you gave,

          all I needed for another day

          And all I ever knew, 

          Only you….. 

 

 


from Going Gently https://ift.tt/5C8VDzd

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق