Girly Lights


“ Have you any spare fairy lights? “  
The question came from the hospice social worker, a straight talking Irish woman with a ribald sense of humour
You look the sort” she added 
I was taken aback, somewhat as my day had not stopped and had revolved around constant visits to the drug room for the double checking of large amounts of morphine, and sedation and controlled drugs of all types.
Fairy lights was a new one on me.
“I may have some at home “ I told her
“ Girly ones?” the social worker asked hopefully 
“Well I think they may be Girly enough!” I said “ will pink flamingos do?” 
“Perfect “ she purred.

The social worker had been talking to one of my patients who wanted her best friends to come in to the hospice for a girly night “ in” 
The girly night is planned for tomorrow when I am on duty and the social worker wanted to set the scene well.
“Fairy lights mean girly night to me” the social worker explained 
what about the Prosecco ? “ I asked 
A support worker overheard the conversation and chipped in
Several bottles already brought in by relatives, they are in the kitchen all labelled” she said 

Hospices do these sort of requests well.
We are especially good at organising last minute weddings too, thanks mainly to a local registrars office that will pull the stops out for such requests.

This morning I couldn’t find any flamingoes at home.
Indeed there wasn’t a set of fairly lights to be seen anywhere. 
I must have had a Scrooge moment and had thrown them all out a year or two ago
Not even a beak left. 

I bought a set of lights this morning to take in to work tomorrow.
Operation Girly night is go! 







from Going Gently https://ift.tt/cmiCnPY

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق