Weekend

Another weekend over. Of course it's not the same as when I was a schoolteacher anticipating the busy working week ahead - all the demands upon my time and those endless human interactions. There was never enough time to get everything done.

Nowadays, I do not have to don my metaphorical armour on Monday mornings. Most mornings are the same - sleeping late and then getting up for an unhurried breakfast with a big pint mug of tea before taking a shower when I feel like doing so. As The Eagles sang, I can "Take it Easy" and I am not complaining. Welcome to retirement.

On Saturday morning the doorbell went. I was still in my dressing gown. In case of accidental exposure, I adjusted and re-tied the belt on said dressing gown. Good job too because two earnest religious missionaries were on the doorstep.  Two women. 

Before they could get into full flow, I cut them short - telling them that God does not exist and that I had been an atheist since childhood. "Sorry to let you know", I said. The older woman replied, "That's all right. We respect other people's opinions" and I said, "I am sorry. This is not an opinion. It is a fact. God does not exist. It's all a myth.". And before closing the door I said "Good luck!"

Even though it was only yesterday, I cannot remember much else that happened. I picked the last of the plums and  I made a nice evening meal - fried chicken, baked potato, fine green beans and a tomato salsa that I created using some of the excess tomatoes from Shirley's greenhouse. I also read another chapter from a book on Buddhism that I am currently reading. Oh and I also spoke to our son Ian who is holidaying on the French Riviera with his girlfriend Sarah.

Today (Sunday), after showering, I went up the garden to clear a neglected area close to the stump of the horse chestnut tree we had removed in May.  Shirley was keen to create a "bug hotel" using logs and, branches and other redundant wood. Of course this helped the clear-up operation. We began with a builder's wooden pallet. Earlier, I had watched  Queen Elizabeth's funeral cortege leaving Balmoral and proceeding to Aberdeen  along a sunny high road, under trees on the north bank of The River Dee. Fare ye well sweet Majesty - the true Queen of Hearts.

Before long, it was time for me to get back inside to prepare our Sunday dinner - roasted loin of pork, roasted potatoes, roasted carrots and parsnip, tenderstem broccoli, sage and onion stuffing, Yorkshire puddings and homemade onion gravy - followed by strawberry cheesecake with fresh strawberries and vegan vanilla ice cream.

During the preparation of said meal - Frances, Stew and Little Phoebe arrived. She called me "grandma" after rehearsing "grandpa" in the car. Never mind, she's getting there with her fast developing language skills.

This evening I caught the bus up to Bents Green and another quiz night at "The Hammer". Trouble was that the quiz company "Redtooth" had failed to send the pub the week's questions so I ended up just chattering with Mick and Danny. Mike's on a holiday break in Llandudno, North Wales. I caught the Number 88 bus home at 10.48.

And that folks was my weekend in a nutshell.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/rm4LBdO

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق