Bookcase

I am writing this blogpost in our study on what is now our old Dell P.C.. Bang next to me is a large pine bookcase that we had made twenty or more years ago to fit the space. The bookcase is now bursting with books two deep. I must admit that I have a psychological problem when it comes to offloading books. I just can't get rid of them.

On the sixth shelf down there is a "book" with a three inch brown spine. Actually, it looks rather like an old photo album. It has been within touching distance of this keyboard for the last thirteen years and yet in all that time I never inspected it until this past weekend.

It was given to be by my immediate colleagues when I left the secondary school where I was The Head of English and Assistant Head and where I worked for twenty two years. Perhaps they imagined that when they put the book together with its photographs and writings that I would pore over it that very weekend but it has literally taken me thirteen years to check it out.

In one or two future blogposts I plan to share some of its contents.

In other news, some visitors may be interested to learn that I managed to sell my brother's Mercedes van last week. I confess that it had been like a millstone round my neck. I ended up re-taxing it and buying a week's insurance before driving it to a "we buy and car" unit in Beverley, East Yorkshire. The price I achieved was over £500 more than the offers I got from a local garage and an organisation called The Car Buying Group. I had no appetite for selling the van privately even though I was fully aware that I might make a better price on it that way. It was worth reminding myself that I personally will gain no profit from this sale. It's gone and I can breathe a sigh of relief. Now on to the next death-related hassle.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/3o85Iiz

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق