Streams Full of Stars, like skies at night

 The delightful P reminded me of a poem I know but have never read.
W H Davies’ Leisure 

WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

I went to Chester this evening to see the Spanish comedy The Good Boss with the delightful Javier Bardem.
It wasn’t as good as I hoped , so I left the Storyhouse early .

It was raining so I drove home and got home late for me at around 10.30. 
The dogs and Albert and I walked down the Lane soon after 
It was humid and raining still, but only lightly 
And we all stopped at the end of the lane and stared at the sky to the West, the clouds over the hawthorn hedges that shadowed the hidden moon.
Albert chatted his teeth at the bats that circled the single street light and seemed to stand and stare too
And Dorothy growled a low growl when the horses in the livery fields stomped their feet in the grass.
Mary sat down and leaned against my calf , just happy in company

We stood there for an age, until my hair flattened 

A poor life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare


from Going Gently https://ift.tt/XGiCEnb

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق