Sport

Chris McQueen (Huddersfield) - Man of the Match in yesterday's rugby league final.

I admit that I like watching sport on the television. This past weekend has been a big one. 

On Saturday afternoon, I watched The Rugby League Challenge Cup Final live on the BBC. Wigan Warriors narrowly beat Huddersfield Giants to lift the trophy though in my humble opinion Huddersfield were the better team. They lost because their goal kicker was not on his best form. He missed four kicks. In top level Rugby Union that simply would not have happened. Huddersfield had not won the trophy since the year that I was born - 1953 and of course, coming from Yorkshire I wanted them to win.

On Saturday evening, I got to watch The European Champions League Final live from Paris. It was just before the scheduled kick off time that I discovered I could view the game free of charge on YouTube via the BT.com site. I watched every dramatic moment as Real Madrid beat Liverpool by one goal to nil - raising the cup for the fourteenth time in their illustrious history.

I would have liked to watch The English Championship Final live from Wembley in London. this evening but Sky Sports held the rights to it and we do mot have access to any Sky sports channels at home as I refuse to subscribe to a service that was initially funded by the right wing media megalomaniac - Rupert Murdoch.

In the end Nottingham Forest beat Huddersfield Town by a single goal - putting Forest back into The Premier League for the first time in twenty three years. The winner's purse in this match is probably the biggest in world football with Forest set to earn £175 million.

Like many sports fans, I thoroughly resent the impact of pay-to-view channels in the televisual enjoyment of big games and major sporting events. It is as if they have stolen our sports away. I feel this most hurtfully in relation to watching cricket. It seems that  the cricketing authorities have sold their souls to the highest bidders so that many cricket lovers - myself included - rarely get to watch any live cricket on TV. In addition, many youngsters who might have been inspired to take up cricket are denied vital on-screen inspiration.

How dare they take our national sports away from us!



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/sGb9xTE

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق