60 Some Thoughts


Sixty.

I know it’s such a boring platitude but I have to say the words always said at these times…
Where does the time go?
I’m writing this at 5 am Albert and I are the only ones awake. Dorothy is gently chewing my pj bottoms, she’s dreaming she’s a puppy

Where did the time go?

I couldn’t tell you…I really can’t.

So , I have been reflecting …….like you do .
I’m reflecting until Wednesday when it actually hits me albeit gently ….square in the face
On the 1st , I’m working all day and we are short handed
I won’t have time to feel anything but fucked.

Here are just 20 thoughts, thoughts in the middle of the night just after Dawn 

1. Working where I do has made me realise that people who “hate getting old “ are idiots. 
You are allowed to hate becoming ill, becoming infirm , becoming depressed ….but don’t hate getting old.
I am lucky reaching 60 , I know that, and I am grateful.

2. Memory is a fickle friend. 

3. Strangely as it may seem sex is better now  than when I took it for granted ….however it is unfortunately more infrequent 
( refer to point 2!)

4. Certain memories last a lifetime and they will never leave you……I dip into a score as I lay in bed….
1968 Janet and I doing Tarzan impersonations out of our bedroom window. 1972 my grandmother smelling of love and cold cream 1973 my first viewing of The Poseidon Adventure 1980 a family party at Ann’s house. 1992 …..getting drunk with Nu in a Galway pub…… Dancing on a Sheffield hospital roof in the dark 1996 seeing New York City  from the air 
2002 meeting my first dog Finlay…..true love 
2015 getting married, 2016 Watching the cor de ballet in Giselle at the Royal Opera house 

Happiness….a flash of realising I was happy, truly happy .

5. Being a nurse …and seeing people at their very best often when they are experiencing their very worst .
 
6  Now realising that when someone starts a conversation with “;I’m not being ……”; they always are

7 Actions always speak louder than fucking words

8 I miss not being a dad but I can now be a cool sort of uncle and grandadish …..a couple of weeks ago My “teenage” nephew Leo texted after a date and excitedly told me he’d just had his first kiss. 
It made me insanely happy.

9 friends are life …but at 60 they start to leave you…please treasure them

10. The Walking Dead needs a Uk Version, and I soooooo want to be in it 

11. I no longer have to pretend to put up with bad behaviour , bad music, bad films or toxic people 

12. I Don’t expect good news coverage on breakfast tv. I say what I think more  when I deal with any services and I won’t put up with shitty management at work 

13. Never talk about politics, gun law or post a seemingly innocuous blog without thinking about it on line. And if I do, expect a load of shitty responses 

14 I now recognise that real friends are real in so much that they don’t rationalise affection or praise or support. They just accept you. 

15 sleep if you can in an afternoon….every afternoon.

16 what did we ever do without phones and internet ?

17. Don’t be unloyal to yourself . I’ve done  it for too many years now. Don’t do things you don’t want to do. Don’t be what you don’t want to be and don’t expect others to do the same 

18  Eat a scotch egg , when I bloody well want one 

19  if you love someone , tell them . Tell them as often as you can 

20  to now move forward into my 61st  year by embracing a new skill ( professional counselling ), a new career , and new experiences …..I realise that inkind of deserve it ….

Hey ho, I’m almost sixty 

And I’m off to work…….soon……
So wish me a happy birthday next Wednesday  , I’m shallow enough , to enjoy every single comment 





from Going Gently https://ift.tt/P5pMbDa

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق