Stew

We always have a roasted joint of meat or a chicken on Sundays. More often than not, there's some leftover meat and gravy. When that happens I tend to make a stew on a Monday or Tuesday. And that's what happened this evening. It's easy to get creative using simple ingredients you happen to have to hand - perhaps they are sitting in the bottom tray of your refrigerator.

Tonight, I first of all chopped an onion and fried it gently in a  mixture of rapeseed oil and salted butter. using out deepest frying pan. Then I tossed in a handful of sliced courgette (American: zucchini). Next the jug of leftover gravy from Sunday was added and next some sliced carrot that I had cooked in the microwave for six minutes. Then similar with a chopped leek.

Next I tossed in a can of chickpeas. Stirring and then tasting suggested how much seasoning the dish might need. I also added a little dried fenugreek - not too much.

I had cooked a large potato in the microwave - chopped into roughly one inch cubes. This was added along with the potato water. It is important to have enough liquid for the stew to swim in. Last of all came the chicken pieces from Sunday.

Very often I would put floured suet dumplings on top of the bubbling stew for the last fifteen minutes - with the lid on. However, on this occasion I remembered we had some nice multigrain bread in the pantry so I cut and buttered a couple of slices.

After I had spooned out the stew I sprinkled some garlic and herb nutritional yeast over the the surfaces of the two steaming bowls of that delicious goodness. Ian and Henry's "Bosh!" company now have three types of "nooch" in selected British supermarkets. It's especially good for vegans looking to quickly add B vitamins to their meat and dairy-free dishes.

I hope that this post and the accompanying photographs will boost your own ideas about quickly bashing out a stew using whatever comes to hand. Occasionally, it is fun to ad-lib and get creative in the kitchen. as our lovely son has discovered.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/5wLSBUP

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق