Secret Santa


 The arm chair in the living room has caught the afternoon sun and the dogs are quiet for the first time today in their effort to make the most of the warmth.

I’ve been shopping for my work’s secret Santa gift which seems such a simple affair but is, in fact always one that is fraught with difficulties if the recipient works out who has sent what.

The general rule of secret Santa is to pick someone you like and always spend more than the allotted amount. 

I’m still scarred by the plastic antler incident when a sister on intensive care bought me a well intentioned but very nasty looking set of plastic antlers which she thought would enhance a classic gay decor .
Even my patient ( who was seriously ill at the time) felt he could mention that the antlers were a bad choice and my subsequent ratter negative discussion of said present on Going Gently. caused much hurt and a six month period of not speaking 
The sister, eventually forgave my indiscretion but I never forgot the upset and so I have made up for my lack of good grace by always buying my colleagues something nice and never complaining if I received something shitty

Today I bought my Santa gift, two very nice mugs, a collection of measuring dishes for baking, a mosquito repelling kit ( she likes hiking) a bottle of very Welsh ale ( she’s very Welsh) several rather classy Christmas Decorations and trendy shopping bag from Habitat 

I’ve completed my family and friend gifts and will wrap them next week after my night shifts which start tonight. 
This afternoon I’ve cooked gyoza dumplings and udon noodles with broccoli for supper and wrapped some coffee bags and Christmas decorations for the support worker I’m working with later. ( she loves the coffee bags I take to work to keep me awake on night shifts) 

I’m watching the delightfully sweet movie The Holiday and the scenes between Eli Wallach and Kate Winslett are quite lovely.


from Going Gently https://ift.tt/3pafKmN

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق