Terms of Endearment



Do you know someone who has the gift of the gab?
Someone who is clever in communicating?
Someone articulate with words?
But the words ring insincere, self serving and false when spoken?
I’ve been contacted by two such people in two days 

After the first I was minimal in my replies, but the conversation and my lack of chutzpah  bugged me and I kept  thinking of a film scene that I couldn’t quite remember clearly enough
I kept musing about of Meryl Streep sort pulling a face

Before the second conversation I remembered the film scene which was haunting me
I was in Sainsbury’s by the udon noodles, and I said out loud Shirley MacLaine! When I recalled the scene  properly .

In 1983 James L Brooks made Terms of Endearment. For those few that may not have seen it, it is a comedy/drama Autumnal love story between eccentric neighbours , the middle aged  Aurora and Garrett,  (Shirley MacLaine Jack Nickleson )as well being a study of mother/ daughter love between MacLaine’s character Aurora and her feisty daughter Emma played by Debra Winger.

In one pivotal scene the cowardly  Garrett finishes his budding relationship with Aurora and does so with all the right words, “ sincere” reflections and articulations but  the humiliated Aurora, who sees through his insincerity, just sits there and vomits out a reply of “ Blah, Blah,Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah , Blah ………Blah.
” 
It’s a clever play by Brooks who lets the scene speak for itself…I’m sure that last Blah was improvised

My second unsatisfactory  conversation was today. It was with Someone who just wanted something from me  A shallow request 
I replied with an equivalent of Endearment’s  Blah Blah BLAH 
Not Meryl today , but with Shirley’s Aurora , totally on board.

Hey ho



from Going Gently https://ift.tt/30iQEJ5

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق