The Duke



 I got home last night and took a rain check at the what’s app video meet I had planned with a friend.
I was all out of talk
Instead I poured myself a very large gin and sat down to watch the Prince Philip-The Royal Family Remembers 
The documentary was filled with personal memories spoken to camera by all of Philip’s Children, their spouses and his adult grandchildren. The only absentees were Kate and Meghan and of course the Queen and the only addition was one of Prince Philip’s personal secretaries who quite movingly gave the audience a stiff upper lip viewing of her boss’ private offices.

I liked the documentary 
It humanised the Duke enormously and it reeked of respect and affection for a man who didn’t suffer fools   but who had a sharp brain and a talent for leadership.
The Royals collectively came out very well too.
I was especially impressed by Anne ( wearing double denim without a care) and her children Peter and Zara who all spoke eloquently and movingly about their memories. 
The best anecdote surly came from Prince William who shared the story of when his grandfather stopped a  young man hiking on one of his own Duke of Edinburgh award challenges and asked him how he was getting on. The young hiker, irritated  with the interruption shot out with a “ Fuck off Grandad” comment which apparently amused the Duke no end.

I slept long and heavy last night and got up late this morning
Outside the back door my sister had left a bucket of sunflowers she had grown on her allotment
And I cut and arranged them in a glass vase.
They have lifted the living room with their sunny faces





from Going Gently https://ift.tt/3lRwsob

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق