Laceby

Journeying over to Shepherd's Crook Farm on Saturday morning, we stopped off in a Lincolnshire village called Laceby. As Shirley nipped into the village shop to buy some edible gifts for our friends, I mooched around and snapped three pictures. 
The first of them is shown above. It was on the door of the Laceby Chinese Takeaway. Sadly, the business was not open at the time so I could not test out the shockingly loud door. Mind you - at the age of sixty seven - I may have counted as an "elder customer". Perhaps the "vey loud" din would have caused me to collapse in a heap - denying me the opportunity to purchase some sweet and sour pork balls with Shanghai noodles. How kind of the proprietor to leave two kisses after the "Thank you".
Above, the little market square in Laceby. I doubt that  a market has been held here since the second world war. Just around the corner it was sad to see that the main village pub - "The Nag's Head" was all boarded up and like the market, will probably never do business again. 

Below is  the delightful twelfth century village church - dedicated to St Margaret and built from stone derived from the quarries at Ancaster - some fifty miles away. Imagine that - in the middle ages - transporting many tons of stone  by cart or coastal barge to build a church.  It's really quite amazing in my estimation. I often think about that when viewing an old church. Where did the stone come from, how did they get it there and at what cost? Another relevant question might be: Why?
I wonder if the application of a little oil might have reduced the noise of the shockingly loud door?


from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/3i5uws4

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق