Stainsby

Stainsby Farm, Stainsby

Stainsby is a tiny village in North East Derbyshire. It has just eleven  houses. Stainsbybrook is even smaller. Yesterday, I parked Clint between the two diminutive settlements.

"How long are you going to be this time?" he quizzed me with emphasis on "this".

"Oh not too long. Two and a half hours maximum."

"Well get moving then!" he sighed.

It was a lovely afternoon as I followed paths over the fields then down under the M1 motorway to Hardwick Park which sits in the shadow of Hardwick Hall. The historic site is managed by The National Trust and they even have a little shop which was open to visitors. There I treated myself to a cone of vanilla ice cream which I consumed at a picnic bench surveying Miller's Pond.

The Great Pond, Hardwick Park

The temperature was so balmy under a milky blue sky and I was glad that I had opted not to wear a jacket. At Hardstoft I saw a couple approaching along the field path. He had a dog on a lead as she trailed along behind. Because of  social  distancing guidance, I stepped away from the path. As he approached I smiled at the man and said "Hello" then did the same to his partner. Neither of them responded in any way. Not a flicker. Perhaps I had become temporarily invisible though I could see myself just fine. What's wrong with some people?

Canada geese and a moor hen - Miller's Pond, Hardwick

I marched on to Astwith, another small village that I  first visited in August 2015. The village's disused  telephone box has now disappeared  into history. I like that little place; Astwith in the parish of Ault Hucknall.. Peaceful and off the beaten track. Though small it has some characterful houses.

Onward to Hawking Lane then back to Stainsby. Once again the circle was complete. Clint jumped as I unlocked his tailgate.

"You gave me a shock!" he announced, stirring from his slumber. "Can we get back to Sheffield now?"

"Just getting my shoes on," I explained.

Hardwick Hall seen from Hawking Lane



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/3sgZ4JI

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق