Southerly

An old song came to mind: I don't know why. It's from the north east of England - even further north than Yorkshire.. Here is the tune played so beautifully by Sheku Kanneh-Mason:-


The song is called "Blow The Wind Southerly".

I vaguely remembered that it was once recorded by the famous English contralto - Kathleen Ferrier. And as you do nowadays, I went hunting around in The Great Google Library for more information, more signposts.

Imagine my gasp of surprise when I discovered that Kathleen Ferrier died on the very same day that I was born! Additionally, just like my father her dad was also  the headmaster of a village school. She died young at 41 after a futile battle with breast cancer. She had no children and her marriage to a bank manager was by all accounts never consummated. Tragic - but in her short life she walked in the limelight, working with some of the finest musicians to emerge from World War II.

Now I am learning "Blow The Wind Southerly" to sing to Baby Phoebe as I rock her in my arms but my version will not be an exact replica of Kathleen Ferrier's haunting rendition...



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/3kBh7as

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق