Caricature

Here's an old postcard containing famous lines that are meant to sum up a Yorkshireman's character.  To me they are ridiculous. I mean, how can you generalise about 5.5 million people? I am including Yorkshire women in this figure and indeed Yorkshire children too.

The final piece of advice is especially galling - If you ever do something for nothing then do it for yourself. This is very much at odds with my experience of my fellow Yorkshire folk.  If anything, they tend to be charitable and kind - not looking out for number one all the time. Of course, I realise that in saying that  I am also in danger of falling into the stereotyping trap.

Nobody seems to know who came up with the lines in the first place but I very much doubt that it was a Yorkshireman or Yorkshirewoman. They are a crude attempt at caricature but the more I think about those words , the more I think - they are not funny and they are not right either.

__________________________________________

In other news... In spite of COVID-19 restrictions, The Laughing Horse Blogging Awards for 2020 will still go ahead as this challenging year draws to a close. The judging committee have been conversing via "Zoom" and following heated discussions the winners have already been chosen. The much anticipated award announcements will be made on New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, there will be no party. No drunken frolics and no joyful assembly of bloggers from around the world.  Don't blame The Laughing Horse Awards Committee, blame The Virus! Watch this space.



from Yorkshire Pudding https://ift.tt/38CGumC

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق