A Rose , A Puffin, The Women’s Institute Concert and a 24 year old thank you!

 I’ve talked of serendipity a great deal on Going Gently over the past two years .
It’s a phenomenon that has swing into my life like the pendulum of a great clock
And like a good clock, it’s presence has been timely.

Last night’s shift was a busier one than normal. I was knackered afterwards , and when I had breakfast this morning, I ate left over coriander salad with chicken out of the side of my mouth as I leaned sleepily across the kitchen table still in my uniform
I looked down at Dorothy who was licking her lips from her position in Winifred’s arm chair and told her to bugger off 
“Its been an emotionally  tiring week!” I told her, but unlike Winnie she didn’t understand my words and just looked guilty.
Winnie would have nodded benignly and would have mew mewed me a kiss.
I was in bed only ten minutes before a rather gorgeous delivery driver knocked on the door
The box was large and contained a standard rose for the garden.
The roses depicted on the accompanying label were old fashioned yellow and scented and called “ Winnie” a gift from my friend Colin 
A wonderful gift , and one that couldn’t be more timely 

The girls and I went back to bed feeling happy and warm.
An hour or so later another delivery man knocked .
He left a small square package, a gift from another friend
The card accompanying it said simply a puffin for an old dear poof...add it to that bloody art wall of yours



I returned to bed and slept.
When I  did eventually woke I noticed a message on my phone from the Trelawnyd WI .
They have organised an on line Zoom concert for Monday and wondered if any of the villagers wanted to join in. The singer is Iona Fyfe https://ionafyfe.com/
So there is Monday evening sorted ....village elder Ian says he’s quaffing craft ales during the concert.
I think I may have some gin left over in the fridge.

Iona Fyfe


Tonight I feel much brighter because of the rose bush, and the puffin and the concert.
And of this short note which popped up tonight from Facebook messenger 

“Hi John, you probably can’t remember me but I was an inpatient at sheffield spinal injuries unit in 1996/7, at the same time that the then nikki Claxton of gladiators came was there. I was just chatting with another fellow inpatient of the time,  and he mentioned the sheffield SIU friends page and there you were! You were such a terrific charge nurse and helped me and my family through what was an incredibly difficult time so 24 years later, a big Thank you to you for really making a difference all those years ago.

I hope this finds you well.Best wishes, Amanda”

How lovely!!!! a thank you message 24 years “ late” but like the rose bush, and the puffin and the concert invitation...oh so timely.

Serendipity? Perhaps ?....it’s a funny old thing



from Going Gently https://ift.tt/2ILUX6Q

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق