Until This Evening

 

Winnie eating breakfast  this morning

Night shifts effect everything and provides a backbone to a new and rather odd routine and mental state. I finish handover at work around 7.45 am and get home around 8.30. 
I never really remember the drive home
Which is worrying. 
I am greeted by all manner of faces and expressions.

Sleepy and hopeful from Winnie.
Anxious and grateful from Dorothy.
Smiling and waggy from Mary
Hungry and bad tempered from Albert.

Dorothy and Mary are placed in Bluebell, 
Winnie has a mammoth pee in the garden and Albert is fed

The accidents of the night are mopped up
And I take the girls for their walk before returning to feed them separately 
There are squabbles if they are not separated

I’m too tired for squabbles.
Today I’m wrote this at the kitchen table listening to novelist David Mitchell talking to Lauren Laverne
I’m about to put a baking potato in the slow cooker for my tea. 
I only drink water before bed.

I check the home answerphone ...no messages as per normal
My phone has 5 what’s app messages, all unanswered as yet
A friend at work has given me some luxury pillows and I stuff them into clean crisp pillow cases whilst listening to Mitchell’s last choice of  Domenico Scarlatti’s sonata in F minor
Sublime 

It’s 9.53 am
Time for bed.
The girls are waiting for me to climb the stairs.
Winnie is already asleep in the kitchen reading chair and is snoring softly.
Albert is out watching rabbits

I lock the doors and shut out the real world

Until this evening


from Going Gently https://ift.tt/2K67tOT

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق